Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Brazil Music Download Surprises at Audio Lunchbox


If you're searching for independent artist and indie labels, Audio Lunchbox just may fit the bill. They seem to offer a  wide selection of artists as represented by the many genres listed on the homepage. The cover art in the ALB Staff Favorites and Weekly Editor's Picks makes finding your music easy. I never thought of my myself as an indie fan but a few random searches turned up several CDs already in my collection, many of them were purchased during my trips to Brazil.

I was surprised to find Rica Amabis' Sambadelic. This artist takes an unusual approach to rhythm, always the adventurist but sometimes it's hard to follow the melody.  Sambadelic is one of my earliest electro Samba CDs, I picked it up without knowing anything about the artist. If you're a fan of Amon Tobin, Rica Amabis may be appealing. But it's an aquired taste to be sure.  

I was pleasantly surprised to come across the always exciting BossaCucaNova and their CD, Um Batida Diferente. I first came across this group via the now classic Brasil 2Mil: The Soul of Bass-O Nova compilation, which I highly recommend. Through the use of turntables, electronica and hip-hop beatz, these guys always pay their respects to the Brazilian classics as they work the groove into a different beat.  





Other than Peter Gabriel's Real World Records, the Luaka Bop label, spearheaded by David Burne of Talking Heads fame, has to be one of the coolest labels in bringing authentic world music to a larger audience. If you've been paying attention to any of these posts by know you know I practically swear by compilations. The Brazil Classics series volumes 1-5 is an excellent series and it's available on audio lunchbox. Here you'll find original genre classics, popular artists and liner notes that read like a mini encyclopedia,  giving you the full background and history of the artists and their influences when these timeless music was created.


Tracks are .99 cents and albums are $ 9.99. Audio bitrate are 192 Kbps VBR MP3 and Q6 Ogg Vorbis. Using the shopping method purchases are finalized with credit cards, paypal or lunchbox  lunchcards.  Two interesting features of this website are the community message boards and the fact that cover art is included with your purchases.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The posts on this blog are my own opinions and are based on my experience using the respective mp3 download website. 

I have no financial interest or affiliation with any website, other than as an end-user that purchases a lot of music from a variety of sources. Your experience may vary. 

Any mp3s linked to this blog are purely for trial purposes only. If you enjoy the music, please do the right thing and support the artists and purchase their music properly. Thanks !