Wednesday, May 7, 2008

More Brazilian MP3s Than Expected at Russian Site


Based on appearance, my first impression of mp3lava is that I probably wouldn't use it often. 

Given the visual appeal of many mp3 download sites, mp3lava seems quite plain. But after giving it a once over the site does have a few good offerings:



  • tracks starting at 15 cents, plus discount options
  • a good selection of Brasilian artists and CD compilations
  • rare and hard to find tracks

The site's design and layout are sparse. At these low prices one has to be somewhat concerned about the legality of purchases from outside the United States. However, the site's terms and conditions page doesn't t inspire much confidence. Likewise beyond the legalese sidestepping, I still felt a sense of "buyer beware".

My first pleasant surprise happened while I was searching by genre.  I was able to locate several of my favorite and popular Brazilian artists under the "Samba" "House" and "Latin" categories respectively. I'm usually disappointed by the results of this type of search on most websites, but here the results seems crossed referenced with other genres. For example, Carlinhos Brown of Timbalada fame, appeared on my list of Samba artists but was actually listed, incorrectly in my opinion, as a Reggae artists. As a former Reference Librarian, I've always felt cross referencing to be extremely helpful in locating information that can be classified almost anywhere. I wish all music download websites had the insight to include this. The impact it could have on purchasing decisions and the many ways it would improve overall user satisfaction, make it well worth the effort. The built-in Flash player with it's scrubbing feature let's you audition the full track.

When I can find Brazilian Promos, imports, remixes and vinyl tracks on a music download site, I am impressed.  Finding rare tracks in addition to standard single and double CDs are a bonus of using mp3lava. Pricing begins at 15 cents for single tracks up to about $4.00+ for a double CD (approx. 30 tracks). According to the volume plan you sign up for, the price could be even less. Sale pricing on certain tracks is also featured throughout. This pricing structure reminds me of boxmp3 and mp3aim music sites. The way search results were displayed also lead me to believe there may be some relationship between these music download sites.

To test my suspicion I signed on to mp3lava with my boxmp3 account and was greeted by my login name and current balance. I did the same at mp3aim. So, the likely conclusion is company XYZ, located somewhere in Russia, is successfully operating three (or more) mp3 music download sites. This isn't uncommon and doesn't take anything away from the user experience but is worth noting. As I mentioned in another site review, I've had technical issues with boxmp3 and their once responsive tech support seemed to have vanished. Although the pricing is similar among these sties, the catalog of contemporary Brazilian artists can vary.  That's principally one of the reasons why I've stayed with boxmp3.

Some of the surprises I found were the hard to find eletrosamba CD. I had been looking for this CD for sometime and refused to pay import prices from Amazon's music store. Also interesting was the extensive catalog of Imports, Remixes, and Limited Editions for Bebel Gilberto.

Highly recommended is Paula Morelenbaum's Berimbau CD - it's easy to think of her as just another lite vocalist placed before brazilian electronic rhythms, but if you're a rhythm junky like I am, Berimbau has a lot to offer. Standouts are, Tomara, a wonderful swinging groove. Starting with the intro with it's spatial placement of the side snare hits and 70's style keyboards, in your left ear and deep deep bass and atmospheric keyboard coloring.

Seule, is another favorite for it's breezy bossa drum 'n bass-like groove. The fresh interpretations of classics like Consolaçao and Canto de Cassnho with it's blending of 70's Bossa swing and 90's hip-hop scratching, keeps it new.

Demonstrating true vocal versatility, Paula Morelenbaum, although with her husband, Jacques and the renowned Ryuichi Sakamoto, cello and piano, respectively, can also be appreciated on the Jobim tribute albums, Casa and A Day in New York.


1 comment:

Kenia Soares said...

Hi american! I am Brazilian and am very happy in knowing that you like our culture in such a way here. You already were in Brazil? If it was not had to know, since you like thus Brazilian music in such a way, you know Paulinho_Moska and Vanessa_da_Mata? They are the best ones in my opinion! Until briefing!

Disclaimer

The posts on this blog are my own opinions and are based on my experience using the respective mp3 download website. 

I have no financial interest or affiliation with any website, other than as an end-user that purchases a lot of music from a variety of sources. Your experience may vary. 

Any mp3s linked to this blog are purely for trial purposes only. If you enjoy the music, please do the right thing and support the artists and purchase their music properly. Thanks !