Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pernambuco's Modern Sound

Whenever I discover new music, it always seems to brighten my day. It reminds me of how important it is to try and remain open to all that life can bring. The child-like quality that satisfies when the simplest needs are met.

That's how I felt this morning as I was surfing Calbash's Tune Your World and discovered Bonsuccesso Samba Clube. This five member band combines reggae & ska rhythms with Samba and other world elements. Their sound, primarily from the Northeast of Brazil, utilizes more traditional rhythms in their music than the sounds coming out of Rio or Sao Paulo. But it still has a fresh and exciting feel. I've covered some of this before looking at Forro music. Luaka Bop's Brazil Classics 7: What's Happening in Pernambuco, released just last month, is a compilation CD that surveys artists of this region, including established acts like Chico Science and Nacao Zumbi and Otto.  Bright up your day with some new-fashioned sounds from another side of Brasil.

Bonsuccesso Samba Clube


No comments:

Disclaimer

The posts on this blog are my own opinions and are based on my experience using the respective mp3 download website. 

I have no financial interest or affiliation with any website, other than as an end-user that purchases a lot of music from a variety of sources. Your experience may vary. 

Any mp3s linked to this blog are purely for trial purposes only. If you enjoy the music, please do the right thing and support the artists and purchase their music properly. Thanks !